September is National Preparedness Month (NPM). NPM reminds remind us that we all must prepare ourselves, our families, and our businesses now and throughout the year.
2018 Weekly Themes
- Week 1: Sept 1-8 Make and Practice Your Plan
- Week 2: Sept 9-15* Learn Life Saving Skills
- September 15 National Day of Action
- Week 3: Sept 16-22 Check Your Coverage
- Week 4: Sept 23-29 Save For an Emergency
Disasters Happen. Prepare Now. Learn How.
The devastating hurricanes and wildfires of 2017 reminded the nation of the importance of preparing for disasters. Often, we will be the first ones in our communities to take action after a disaster strikes and before first responders arrive, so it is important to prepare in advance to help yourself and your community.
Emergency Preparedness Questions for Business Owners?
- Has your small business analyzed its vulnerabilities and the potential impacts of a disaster?
- Evacuate? Shelter in place? Lockdown? What’s your plan for employees in the event of a disaster?
- How will you evacuate employees in the event of a disaster if needed?
- Do you have the means to shelter in place at your company?
- How will your business communicate with customers, suppliers and employees in the event of a disaster?
Tips for Business Owners
- Conduct a risk assessment to identify potential hazards and the impacts a disaster could have on your business.
- Create a disaster plan and practice it with your employees.
- Have emergency supplies available at the workplace.
- Training employees and testing your business’ disaster plans are key to things running smoothly during and after a disaster.
- Providing assistance and support for employees should be part of a business’ preparedness program.
- Check your insurance policies to be sure you have enough coverage before a disaster strikes.
- Save important docs to the cloud for quick access after a disaster.
Resource: How-To Ready Business Toolkit
Nicki Sanders, MSW, is a travel and cupcake lover with a passion for self-discovery and career advancement. She has a strong background in developing and managing interns and successful internship programs. She is an accomplished manager, professor, coach, trainer, and group facilitator who has packaged her Master of Social Work degree and 20 years of diverse work experience into Packaged For Success Enterprises, a full-service training and professional development company.
© 2018 Copyright Protected. ALL RIGHTS ARE RESERVED.