Cooking, cleaning, budgeting, working, shopping, visiting…the holidays can be a time of great joy or great stress! A little stress is normal. Too much stress or prolonged stress can be disastrous. Don’t let stress ruin the season.
Remember that self-care is not selfish and you can’t do a good job of taking care of others if you aren’t taking proper care of yourself. Be sure to include yourself at the top of your holiday to do list.
Here Are 10 Ways to Practice Self-Care During the Holidays
- Remember Your Why – Don’t try to live up to other people’s expectations. Do what brings you joy.
- Eat Well – Don’t over eat at the family feast or skip meals while shopping or cleaning
- Sleep Well – Sleep is still essential during the holiday season. Give your body time to replenish itself.
- Don’t Overextend Yourself – Learn to say no without guilt. Everything in moderation.
- Express yourself – Don’t hold in your emotions. They need a release.
- Practice Gratitude – Gratitude begets gratitude.
- Set Healthy Boundaries – With yourself and with others. You are not a doormat. Be kind to yourself.
- Be Open To New – Be open to new traditions and experiences that may enrich your life.
- Manage Your Expectations – Be realistic in your expectations of yourself and others.
- Enjoy the Experience – The holidays should be a time of joy and happiness not guilt and blame. Set the intention to enjoy time alone, with your loved ones, and remember the reason for the season.
What else would you add to this self-care checklist? Leave a comment to let me know.
Nicki Sanders, MSW, is a travel and cupcake lover with a passion for self-discovery and career advancement. She has an extensive background in developing and managing interns and successful internship programs. She is an accomplished manager, professor, coach, trainer, and group facilitator who has packaged her Master of Social Work degree and 20 years of diverse work experience into Packaged For Success Enterprises, a full-service training and professional development company.
© 2018 Copyright Protected. ALL RIGHTS ARE RESERVED.