A year ago today, March 10, 2022, I made a decision to go from idea/dream/wish to goal. Then I wrote the goal, verbalized the goal, and took action on the goal. Facebook reminded me of the social media post today:
“As I was driving on Tuesday I had a strong desire to take more concrete action as it relates to my 100-acre goal (it’s now a goal, no longer a dream). I realized that I don’t have connections in the agriculture community and it’s time for me to build new relationships and gain new experiences specifically related to farming.
Although my ideas about how I want to engage are still forming, I knew I needed to move forward even if only in a small way.
Here are the ideas floating around in my head:
- I don’t want to spend all my time in an office this fall
- I want to be able to not just spend time outside but spend time on farms
- I want to be able to use my macro social work education and training to help local farmers
- I want to be able to center my skills and ideas on agritourism, resource development, community engagement, health education, and social entrepreneurship
My action included valuable conversations with two amazing millennials who are passionate and knowledgeable about agriculture, sustainability, food security, and justice for Black farmers. I ended both conversations with more enthusiasm and information to follow up on.
If you have recommendations or want to chat, I’d love to hear from you.”
2023: Just in case I haven’t told y’all, I’ve been working very part-time at a farm for the last 6 months based on this post from a year ago! Yes, someone made a great recommendation, and I followed up on that too. I haven’t worked in a traditional office since August!
I Affirm: The world is my classroom. The world is my office. The world is my playground.
In the last year, I have created my own schedule, spent time in nature 3-5 days a week, worked with individual coaching clients, facilitated virtual and in-person presentations for nonprofit agencies, American and Canadian social work students, and conferences, taught a Human Relations undergraduate course, developed and managed a local internship program, been interviewed for a YouTube channel, accepted a seat on a smoke-free campus task force, and served as an external field supervisor for a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) student.
What have I decided and confirmed today that I want to do more of in 2023?
- Accepting additional private career coaching clients. (APPLY to On My Terms)
- Welcoming new consulting clients – leadership development, burnout prevention, employee recruitment and retention, internship program development, and corporate social responsibility/social impact programs.
- More speaking, teaching, and training – accepting conference recommendations and online (podcast, YouTube, and internet series) and offline (panel discussions, brunches, and women’s group) invitations.
- Serving as a guest lecturer for national and international schools of social work classes and student-led organizations and events. (Top of my fall semester list are Alabama A&M University, Tuskegee University, Alabama State University, and NASW Alabama chapters)
- Celebrating my milestone birthday all year long.
There is nothing special about the March 10th date. The desired outcome is a result of making a decision, believing in the decision, and taking action on the decision. Goals don’t work unless I do! I’m ready to step into my next level!
Who do you know that I need to know? Please feel free to share this post.
If you have recommendations or want to discuss your event, I’d love to hear from you.
Nicki Sanders, MSW, supports high-performing women of color in social work leadership in developing careers that feed their hearts, minds, and wallets. As Founder and CEO of Nicki Sanders Leadership Consulting, her mission is simple – to eliminate toxic workplaces by developing skilled, empathetic, and goal-oriented leaders who have the vision, support, and resources to create a culture where business prospers, and employees thrive individually and collectively. Nicki has an extensive background in nonprofit management leading high-functioning, multi-disciplinary teams, volunteer recruitment and retention, and social impact programming. She is an accomplished professor, coach, trainer, and group facilitator who has combined her gift for authentic relationships, Master of Social Work degree, and over 20 years of diverse work experience to create a life and career aligned with her values and purpose. Nicki is a lover of cupcakes, travel, and 80’s hip hop and R&B music.
© 2023 Copyright Protected. ALL RIGHTS ARE RESERVED.