I see you. Even though you are trying to hide from the spotlight.
I hear you. Even though you tried really hard to keep your opinions and ideas to yourself.
I recognize you. Even though you try to keep your coworkers and supervisor at arm’s length away.
I know you. Even though you tried to hide your brilliance by giving away the credit for your work.
You thought you were doing a good job at dimming your light, but I see you, I hear you, I recognize you because I was you.
I was you.
- I would say yes to others which meant saying to no myself.
- I would dim my light to give others a chance to shine.
- I would sit quietly in meetings and only speak when needed.
- I would set up professional boundaries, but people would still want to connect to me.
- I would hide in the background and invite others to share the credit for my work.
Is this now you?
- Exhausted – mentally, physically, and emotionally?
- Working an extra job or a side hustle to increase your income?
- Considering leaving the social work or human services profession?
- Overworked, underpaid, and unappreciated?
It doesn’t have to be this way. Remember who you are!
Save yourself the trouble and heartache of playing small when you know you were meant for greatness. Your innate desires and strengths will not go away. They will continue to show up and call out to you to embrace and honor them.
Stop shrinking to fit into (work) places you’ve outgrown because the pain caused by the constricting is unnecessary and unproductive. It’s painful when you are misunderstood, stifled, and taken for granted.
Allow yourself to bloom because you won’t be happy, healthy, or whole until you become authentically you.
The world needs your genius, but you need it more. Give yourself the gift of you!
Choose you in 2022.
Nicki Sanders, MSW, escorts high-performing women of color in mid-level social work and human services leadership through promotion to senior leadership. As Founder and CEO of Nicki Sanders Leadership Consulting, her mission is simple – to eliminate toxic workplaces by developing skilled, empathetic, and goal-oriented leaders who have the vision, support, and resources to create a culture where business prospers, and employees thrive individually and collectively. Nicki has an extensive background in nonprofit management leading high-functioning, multi-disciplinary teams. She is an accomplished professor, coach, trainer, and group facilitator who has combined her gift for authentic relationships, Master of Social Work degree, and over 20 years of diverse work experience to create a life and career aligned with her values and purpose. Nicki is a lover of cupcakes, travel, and 80’s hip hop and R&B music.
© 2022 Copyright Protected. ALL RIGHTS ARE RESERVED.