My daughter, JaMai, had the idea to host her first Pack A Purse™ Drive during Christmas 2007. Why purses? JaMai loves fashion and she wanted to give back in a way that she knew other teen girls would appreciate. We set out to collect purses and personal care items for teenage girls in group homes, shelters, and the foster care system. We had no idea we would do it again 14 more times. We had no idea that so many people would believe in the purpose and donate for years to come. We had no idea that agencies would reach out to us every year to ask if we would be donating purses again. We had no idea that this would get so big that we would need to rent storage units and moving vans. We had no idea that families would look forward to volunteering together annually to sort and pack purses and toiletries. We had no idea but we are overjoyed and super grateful.
Because we are still in a global health pandemic, our goal this year is much lower than normal. It is my hope that each of the following 10 agencies will receive at least 10 filled purses for a total of 100 purses.
- Family and Youth Initiative
- BEST Kids
- Hearts & Homes for Youth
- Sasha Bruce Youthwork
- Prince George’s County Department of Social Services Independent Living Program
- WIN Family Services
- National Center for Children and Families
- Covenant House Washington
- Montgomery County Department of Social Services
It’s not too late to get involved:
- Sponsor an agency – Purchase new donations then visit the agency website and follow their procedures for making/delivering donations directly to the selected agency.
- Host a shower – Follow the baby shower format with your close friends and family if you are comfortable hosting small gatherings and donate directly to a selected agency.
- Become an Ambassador – Collect NEW purses, backpacks, and toiletries from friends and family and deliver them directly to the selected organization.
- Make a financial donation – You can monetary donations to the Pack A Purse™ Drive through Paypal and I will purchase and deliver NEW I will NOT be accepting or delivering used donations this year.
New Pack A Purse™ Drive items requested:
- Feminine Hygiene items (individually wrapped)
- New purses, backpacks, and tote bags
We will not host a Purse Packing party this year.
Thank you for years of support!!
Nicki Sanders, MSW, CEO, is a Career and Empowerment Strategist who helps high-performing women of color in management go from overworked, underpaid, and unappreciated to energized, well paid, and appreciated. Through Nicki Sanders Leadership Consulting, she also helps businesses recruit, hire, train, and retain great employees. Nicki has an extensive background in developing and managing successful programs and leading high-functioning multi-disciplinary teams. She is an accomplished professor, coach, trainer, and group facilitator who has combined her gift for authentic relationships, Master of Social Work degree, and over 20 years of diverse work experience to create a life she loves. Nicki is a lover of cupcakes, travel, and 80’s hip hop and R&B music.
© 2021 Copyright Protected. ALL RIGHTS ARE RESERVED.