Women have been taught from birth to be quiet and humble.
- I am old enough to remember when children were to be “seen and not heard” and little girls really were praised for behaving like they were made with “sugar and spice and everything nice”.
- Strength and power are minimized as we are taught to wait for Prince Charming to come and rescue us.
- As we get older, women are then told to “act like a lady”.
Confidence and conceit are not the same.
Have you heard these words? “Don’t brag. Don’t get cocky. Don’t be so conceited.” Because this has been ingrained in us, many professional women do not speak up in meetings, do not take credit for their great work, and get overlooked.
Stop Downplaying Your Experience and Achievements!
- Pay Attention to Your Words – I often stop my friends as they’re speaking and ask the question “did you hear yourself’. I only do this when they are telling amazing stories and speaking like their achievements aren’t a big deal. I will not listen as they minimize the things they have accomplished.
- Start An Achievement Log – Record your profession contributions and accomplishments so that you can increase your confidence, update your cover letter and resume quickly and with quantifiable results, and prepare for job interviews and performance evaluations.
- Practice Interviewing – In order to improve your interviewing skills and learn what hiring managers and recruiters are looking for in a candidate, I recommend conducting iInformational interviews and attending job fairs. Practice makes progress.
- Accept Praise – You are more than enough. When you respond to a compliment with self-criticism, you are negating your abilities. When you accept compliments you are telling your subconscious that you are valuable and also affirming to the person speaking with you that they are not credible.
- Take Credit For Your Work – Confidence increases with achievement. There is no honor or reward in being the best kept secret. You have to toot your own horn if you want to advance your career.
Are you ready to be more visible? Are you ready to increase your belief in yourself? Are you ready to achieve success on your own terms?
There is still time to register for my Coronavirus Career Acceleration Bundle which includes my Career Journey Map followed by my Career Acceleration Strategy Session. A Career Journey Map session allows you to evaluate your priorities and determine whether to stay in your current role, seek a promotion, or begin your job search. A Career Acceleration Strategy Session offers brainstorming and support in implementing individualized career strategies to attain your updated career goals [Get Positioned]. The combined value of this special offer is $394.00 but my Coronavirus Career Acceleration Bundle is available for $197.00 through June 30, 2020.
Nicki Sanders, MSW, CEO, is a travel and cupcake lover with an aptitude for authentic connection and career design. She has an extensive background in developing and managing successful programs and leading high-functioning multi-disciplinary teams. She is an accomplished professor, coach, trainer, and group facilitator who has merged her Master of Social Work degree and over 20 years of diverse work experience into a thriving business. Nicki Sanders Leadership Consulting helps businesses recruit and retain the best employees and helps women in mid-level management design the careers of their dreams.
© 2020 Copyright Protected. ALL RIGHTS ARE RESERVED.