I love nature! I love grass and trees, farms and barns.
In my March blog post, ‘I Recognize My Elevation’, I shared the following ideas that were floating around in my head:
- I don’t want to spend all my time in an office this fall
- I want to be able to not just spend time outside, but spend time on farms and with farmers
- I want to be able to use my macro social work education and training to help local farmers
- I want to be able to center my skills and ideas on agritourism, resource development, community engagement, health education, and social entrepreneurship
I set the intention to spend more time outdoors in nature and more specifically on farms and with farmers. It’s been going great!!
- Increasing my conversations with those with similar interests
- I was introduced to The Community Ecology Institute (CEI) has welcomed more than 2,000 people to Freetown Farm in Columbia, MD since 2019! Imagine how inviting, inclusive, and impactful Freetown Farm will increasingly become with accessible, indoor classrooms, restrooms, meeting areas, and offices! Renovating their unfinished barn into a Community Engagement Center will create wonderful spaces for people to gather in all seasons and weather. To learn more about plans for the renovation, you can attend a Zoom presentation with the Executive Director and project architect on June 15th from 6:30 to 7:30pm. You can contribute directly to the barn-raising HERE.
- I traveled to Costa Rica and Sedona, Arizona
- I attended the Opening Day of The Well at Oxon Run which is powered by DC Greens. I am rarely without words, but it was such an amazing experience. I used to work in ward 8 and this is absolutely life-changing and life-giving. Check out this awesome VIDEO to see the beauty, crops, and mission. I highly recommend it.
- Taking long drives through my county to see the farms and farm animals and making pit stops at local farmer’s markets as well.
Please feel free to share your recommendations for awesome farms and farmer’s markets for me that I will be able to visit and share with our community.
- Was There Real Transformation in Sedona?
- What I Remembered, Revisited and Reinstated While in Costa Rica
- Let’s Promote All 3 Social Work Practice Areas
- Stay Focused On Your Super Big Dream
- Social Justice Includes Justice for Black Farmers
Nicki Sanders, MSW, ushers high-performing women of color in mid-level social work and human services leadership through promotion to senior leadership. As Founder and CEO of Nicki Sanders Leadership Consulting, her mission is simple – to eliminate toxic workplaces by developing skilled, empathetic, and goal-oriented leaders who have the vision, support, and resources to create a culture where business prospers, and employees thrive individually and collectively. Nicki has an extensive background in nonprofit management leading high-functioning, multi-disciplinary teams. She is an accomplished professor, coach, trainer, and group facilitator who has combined her gift for authentic relationships, Master of Social Work degree, and over 20 years of diverse work experience to create a life and career aligned with her values and purpose. Nicki is a lover of cupcakes, travel, and 80’s hip hop and R&B music.
© 2022 Copyright Protected. ALL RIGHTS ARE RESERVED.